Walker Corporation has made a submission in mid 2016 to the NSW Government requesting it rezone land in the Wilton South East Precinct of the new town in accordance with the Wilton New Town Master Plan. To view the further refinement of Walker Corps specific master plan, see the indicative structure plan here.
The rezoning will result in a number of benefits for Wilton including:
- Employment areas capable of supporting 1,900 permanent new jobs
- An annual average of over 100 jobs in construction (16+ years)
- A bridge over Picton Road at Almond Street (including 3 metre pedestrian and cycle path) connecting Wilton village with the new Precinct and providing safer access to Picton Road for existing and new residents
- Funds to improve the existing Hume/Picton Road intersection
- An eventual bridge over Picton Road connecting the precinct to the Hume Highway
- A community centre
- A childcare centre
- A primary school
- Sporting fields
- $23 million to Council to build improved district sporting and community facilities either in the existing village or around the Town Centre
- 150 hectares of conservation land.